Sunday, October 18, 2009

I never met a squash I didn't like...


...so I wasn't afraid to try Spaghetti Squash! I had often heard of it as a low-carb option for a side dish, but had never actually seen it in real life until a couple weeks ago. When I saw them at Stop and Shop, I couldn't believe they DO exist out here in Northern Central MA! Jeb was skeptical, but he really can't say no to me, so we picked some up.

I won't lie - the squash sat on my counter for about 2 weeks while I tried to figure out just what I was supposed to do with it. I wasn't REALLY clear on what spaghetti squash actually was, so I didn't know if I could roast it like other squashes, or if it had to be boiled (it IS spaghetti squash, after all!). A few nights ago, I was looking at it and noticed a sticker on it with cooking instructions! Whoops!

Anyway, we decided to cook it in its purest form, and just serve with basic Chicken Parmesan (we like the Cooking Light version). It was a bit weird at first to scoop the stringy flesh out of the skin, but once it was on the plate, I was sold! It was pretty tasty, and I didn't even miss the usual starchy sides that go so well with Chicken Parmesan. We finished it with a bit of salt, pepper, and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

The best way to know how much we enjoyed the Spaghetti Squash?? Jeb bought 3 more this week at the grocery store!


No comments:

Post a Comment