Sunday, October 18, 2009

Cranberry Banana Muffins


It's a snowy fall day in New England, so I did a little bit of cooking. I had some cranberries in the fridge and some overripe bananas on my counter, so I figured I would combine them and make lower carb, higher protein muffins. I like to have a bread or muffin option to pair with a protein for a snack when I'm on the go at work. I prefer a muffin to breads because it is easier to control portions and track my calories. These muffins have healthy fats, potassium, and antioxidants which make them work well in my diet!

Next time, I will probably add more protein powder and use 1 less banana - simply to have an even lower carb, higher protein muffin. I will also try them with slivered almonds.

The texture is just right with these - they taste just like a regular banana bread/muffin!

Cranberry Banana Muffins
(makes 24 muffins)

6 overripe bananas (about 725g)
2 cups Old Fashioned Oats (not quick oats - processed into a flour)
1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
2 Scoops Vanilla Protein Powder (the brand you use will change the nutritional info)
3 TBS Milled Flax Seed
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp Apple Pie Spice
6 TBS butter (melted)
1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 cup egg white substitute
1.25 cups fresh cranberries

Preheat oven to 350. Coat muffin pan with cooking spray.

Mix oat flour, flour, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and Apple Pie Spice. Set aside.

Beat bananas in mixer until broken down. Add brown sugar and mix until completely incorporated. Add melted butter and olive oil and mix well for about 1 minute.

Slowly add egg whites and vanilla extract.

Add flour/protein mixture gradually.

Stir in cranberries. If desired, you could also stir-in chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, slivered almonds, etc. Orange zest would also be tasty.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.



Nutrition info:
Per Muffin
Calories: 155
Fat: 6.4g
Carbohydrates: 19g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Protein: 6g

No comments:

Post a Comment