Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Speed" work

I put "Speed" in quotes, because, well, I'm not fast! Since I've got about a month to go until the Warrior Dash and I feel like I have a fair endurance base, I figured it was about time to try and pick up my speed. So, in light of that (and a scary incident during my jog last week), I laced up my trainers and headed out to the local track. I decided to run 4-200s with a 200-yard walk in between. My times were 72s, 69s, 69s, and 67s - literally twice as long as when I trained in this distance in high school.

At first I was discouraged, but stepping back I realized:
1. That was almost 15 years ago.
2. I only started running again a little over two months ago - after a 10-year break!
3. I'm carrying about 70 more pounds than I was then (but am working on that!).

It could be much worse! I could have spent the morning sitting on the couch eating unhealthy food. Instead, I had a good workout and am drinking a protein shake. Amazing how things can change!

Looking forward to this workout again!

No comments:

Post a Comment